Older residences are largely redbrick back-to-back and 'through' terraced housing. There are also concrete council houses (the Holborn Estate) and a mixture of more modern buildings, particularly student accommodation. There is a small amount of light industry. The (C of E) parish church of St Mark's is now disused, but lends its name to streets around and the St Mark's Residences of the university. The building was used as the exterior of The Parish Church of St Mathews in the Beiderbecke Affair. Other older buildings include Quarry Mount Primary School, and several public houses. On Holborn Approach is the Temperance Hall and Mechanics' Institute which was opened by Samuel Smiles in 1851 as an alternative to local pubs for socialising. It cost £900 and is of red bricks with yellow sandstone details. It is now used as a chuch.
The area climbs a hill rising from Woodhouse Moor, adjacent to the University of Leeds, and backs onto woodland known as Woodhouse Ridge, a part of theMeanwood Valley Trail and the Forest of Leeds.
Woodhouse is a largely residential area just north of the city centre of Leeds and home to the University of Leeds. It is in the Hyde Park and Woodhouse ward of City of Leeds metropolitan district. It was described in 1853 as a "large and handsome village".Woodhouse is now a largely working-class area, with a racially diverse population and a sizeable student community.
Click the button, fill out the form and we'll be right with you!Make a viewing