An 1829 Act of Parliament enclosed Headingley Moor and the land was placed for sale. Around 30 workers' cottages had by then encroached upon the fringes of the moor prior to 1829. Land in this vicinity was generally cheaper than that at Headingley Hill as it failed to attract the building of affluent villas. This brought about the building of smaller terraced housing around Moor Road and Cottage Road. In the mid 19th century, Far Headingley had begun to develop over what was largely unclaimed common land.
Headingley has two renowned fish and chip shops/ fish restaurants who have been serving since the 1930s: Brett's, a 19th century stone building on North Lane, and Bryan's, a more modern building on Weetwood Lane. There are several pubs and bars plus extensive shopping areas. The pub Headingley Taps is so called because it was formerly a water pumping station. In the Headingley Arndale Centre there is a Sainsbury's(formerly a Somerfield), a Wilkinson and several other chain shops as well as a small multi-storey car park. There are many banks, building societies, restaurants, cafes and charity shops. Along Otley Road there is a Boots the Chemist and a Starbucks. Until 2005 Headingley had two cinemas, 'The Lounge' and 'The Cottage Road Cinema' (usually referred to as 'Cottage Road'). The Lounge Cinema in the centre of Headingley has since closed, leaving only Cottage Road in Far Headingley. The area's Woolworths closed in the 1990s. Until the 1980s, the Arndale Centre boasted a bowling alley. The Arndale Centre began undergoing an external facelift in 2009. The nearest large supermarket is a Morrisons in Kirkstall, approximately a mile away from the centre of Headingley.
Headingley continued to be a village until the expansion of Leeds during the industrial revolution and became a popular suburb where the rich moved to escape the filth and pollution of the city.
A map of 1711 shows Headingley as having a chapel, cottages, and farmsteads scattered around a triangle of land formed by the merging of routes from north, west and south. Enclosed fields were situated around the settlement with a large tract of common land, Headingley Moor, to the north. In an 1801 census, Headingley's population is given as 300.
Headingley is an inner suburb of Leeds in West Yorkshire, England. It is approximately two miles out of the city centre, to the north west along the A660 road. Headingley is notable for being the location of the Beckett Park campus for Leeds Metropolitan University and Headingley Stadium. The ITV television series, Fat Friends, was set in Headingley.
Headingley is first mentioned in the Domesday Book as Hedingelei or Hedingeleia in 1086 where it is recorded Ilbert de Lacy held 7 carucates (about 840 acres) of land. The name is widely thought to mean "clearing of Hedda's people", with the -ley suffix identifying an Anglo-Saxon origin and Hedda sometimes being identified with Saint Hædde However, a stone coffin found near Beckett Park in 1995 suggests there may have been an earlier settlement in late Roman or post-Roman times.
With exception of Beckett Park and the surrounding area, most of Headingley has been developed by the beginning of the twentieth century. In a 1911 census the population of Headingley was in excess of 46,000.
The area has a history of student inhabitation, with Leeds Metropolitan University having a campus at Beckett Park in Headingley. Much of the housing around Kirkstall Lane is rented to students. The conversion of Leeds Polytechnic into a University and its subsequent growth has brought about an increased student population in Headingley in the last ten years.From Viking times, Headingley was the centre of the wapentake of Skyrack, or Siaraches, the "Shire oak". The name may refer to an oak tree that was used as a meeting place for settling legal disputes and raising armies. An ancient oak, said to be the Shire Oak, stood to the north of St Michael's Church until 1941, and gives its name to two pubs, The Original Oak and The Skyrack.
During the 13th century William de Poiteven gave land in Headingley to Kirkstall Abbey, and in 1341 the remainder of the township of Headingley-cum-Burley was given to the monastery by the then owner, John de Calverley.
In 1840, it became the site of Leeds' Zoological and Botanical Gardens. Despite the opening of Headingley railway station, serving the gardens, in 1849, the zoo was a loss-making venture and closed in 1858. The bear pit still survives and can be seen on Cardigan Road
The Meanwood Beck, to the east of the village, was a source of water for the early inhabitants and later provided a source of power for the Victorians of Leeds.
The Leeds Tramway terminated at a depot at Far Headingley from 1875 to 1959, improving the accessibility of Headingley from Leeds city centre. Improved transport facilitated further growth and attracted many more affluent middle class inhabitants. The tramway perhaps ended Headingley's village status and made it into a suburb of Leeds.
Throughout Headingley's modern era, the Rugby and Cricket stadiums have been significant in the fabric of the area. A major England test match or a Rugby League derby brings many spectators to the area. The cricket ground has been enlarged in recent years to maintain its eligibility for test matches while in 2006 the Eastern terraces on the Rugby ground was replaced with the current Carnegie stand. The winter shed cricket pavilion is currently (as of May 2009) being replaced with a new stand and media centre.
Click the button, fill out the form and we'll be right with you!Make a viewing