On Roundhay Road is the Post Office, a Co-op Supermarket (formerly Somerfield and before that Safeway), a Tesco, a Homebase and several shops and banks. The Post Office and Tesco refer to their location as 'Roundhay', while Oakwood is in the Roundhay ward, these businesses are generally considered to be in Oakwood, particularly as there is a Post Office in the heart of Roundhay on Street Lane. Oakwood public library is at number 1 Oakwood Lane on the corner of the junction diagonally opposite the Oakwood clock.
In 1912, Roundhay became part of Leeds.
The district was scene of a high profile murder on 26 December 2003, when 34-year-old policeman Ian Broadhurst was shot dead and two of his colleagues were wounded by a man whose car they had stopped on Dib Lane.David Bieber, a former American Marine, was arrested five days later in Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, and promptly charged with murder.He was found guilty on a charge of murder and two of attempted murder on 2 December 2004, for which he was sentenced to life imprisonment. After his trial, it was revealed that he had fled his native Florida in the mid 1990s and entered Britain using a false identity after being suspected of conspiracy to commit the murder of a love rival.
Harehill is an inner-city area of east Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It is approximately 1mile (1.6 km) north east of Leeds city centre. Harehills is situated between the A58 (towards Wetherby) and the A64 (towards York).
Held on the third Saturday of the month since March 15, 2008 around the Oakwood Clock, Oakwood Farmers' Market has become a regular feature. Organised by local residents in conjunction with Roundhay Environmental Action Project the Oakwood Farmers' Market's goal is to provide quality local produce, some of which is organic, with local being defined at produce traveling no more than 20 miles to the market. Receiving FARMA accreditation, being the second farmers' market in Leeds to have done so, has meant that the Oakwood Farmers' Market can display the FARMA logo to prove its status as a true farmers' market. Regular stalls and 'feature' stalls provide a range of local products including: jams, meats, eggs, chocolates, bread and wide range of locally grown fruits and vegetables. Seasonal holidays are celebrated with local musicians, artists and performers.
Official Government figures have listed Harehills as the 429th most deprived of England’s 8,414 electoral wards – in the top 5%. Unemployment in Harehills is at 9%, compared to less than 4% across the City of Leeds
St James' University Hospital is partly situated in Harehills.
On the August Bank Holiday the Leeds Carnival is held with a procession through Harehills and Chapeltown
IMPaCT is a community partnership which aims to improve the Chapeltown and Harehills areas.
Gledhow is a suburb of north-east Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, situated east of Chapel Allerton and west of Roundhay. (It is within the Roundhay City Council Ward.) A major feature of the area is Gledhow Valley, a strip of mixed deciduous woodland with a beck and lake. A bathhouse dating from 1671, the Gipton Spa, is in the woods. Running through the valley is Gledhow Valley Road, built in 1926
The cheaper housing has made it attractive to immigrants, with the result that it has a considerable cultural and ethnic mixture. There are two main shopping streets, Harehills Lane and Harehills Road which join at the junction of Roundhay Road (A58 road) leading to Oakwood. Also, heading 0.6 miles (1 km) up Harehills Lane towards the A64 York Road at the junction with Compton Road, is Harehills's other main shopping area.
Oakwood is an affluent suburb of north-east Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, that lies between Gipton and Roundhay Park. It is within the LS8 postcode and part of the Roundhay City Council Ward.
It is home to Oakwood Clock, a large clock that was built in 1904 by Potts and Sons to the design of Leeming and Leeming and is sited at the bottom end of Roundhay Park; it was first designed as the centrepiece of Kirkgate Market, Leeds. After the design of Kirkgate Market was revised it was considered that this clock would no longer be suitable for the building, and the idea to place it in Oakwood came about. Eight years after it was first built this clock was erected in Oakwood.
Opposite the Clock on Roundhay Road is the Fish Bar, a Grade II Listed Building with an Art Deco frontage of black glass panels, which has been selling fish and chips since 1934.
It was in the garden of Oakwood Grange that Louis Le Prince filmed the Roundhay Garden Scene in 1888, credited as the first motion picture.Oakwood Grange was demolished in 1972 to make way for Oakwood Grange housing estate but what would have been the adjacent stately home, Oakwood Hall still remains as a nursing home.
Roundhay is a large and generally affluent suburb and City Council Ward of north-east Leeds, West Yorkshire, England, largely represented by the LS8 postcode. The Metropolitan Ward Boundary is set by the A6120 ring road on the north and the A58 Wetherby Road on the south and east. It follows Gledhow Valley Road to the west before going north-east to the A6120. The ward therefore includes the smaller areas of Gledhow and Oakwood, which are often considered distinct suburbs. Adjacent wards are Alwoodley and Harewood to the north,Moortown to the west, Chapel Allerton to the south-west, Gipton and Harehills to the south, plus Killingbeck and Seacroft to the south-east. On the north-east boundary is Shadwell, part of the Crossgates and Whinmoor ward.
During the First World War Roundhay was used for gathering soldiers, hence land by Prince's Avenue is known as Soldiers Fields.
Gledhow Lane crosses Gledhow Valley Road and on the Eastern side is a steep road up from the valley. The residential area near the top is known locally as "Little Switzerland" In the area at the top of Gledhow Lane is Gledhow Hall, a 17th century mansion house and grade II listed building, once the home of James Kitson, 1st Baron Airedale. It is now private flats. J. M. W. Turner painted a watercolour view of Gledhow Hall in about 1816. Close by is another old building, Gledhow House.
Within the boundary of Gledhow is Gledhow Primary School
It is situated between Burmantofts and Gipton, and adjacent to Chapeltown. As the name suggests it is a hill area, basically a south-facing slope, with many streets of terraced houses on hills. In the middle is Banstead Park, a grassy slope with trees and play areas, giving a view over the city of Leeds. Banstead Park was home to rioting in 2001.Along with neighbouring Chapeltown, Harehills has suffered from rioting and sporadic unrest. However, there have been no notable incidents of unrest in Harehills since 2001.
Following the war, new estates were built to the south and west of the park. Roundhay School for Boys was opened in 1926, and the School for Girls in 1932. After the Second World War housing continued to fill in available spaces, with smaller residences built in the grounds of larger ones, and large houses being converted to flats.
Roundhay holds the honour of being the location of the world's oldest surviving film, Roundhay Garden Scene, which is thought to have been shot on 14 October 1888 by Louis Le Prince at Oakwood Grange.
The word 'Roundhay' comes from 'Rond-haeg', a round hunting enclosure or deer park.The Roundhay estate map of 1803 still showed the circular shape. It does not appear in theDomesday Book of 1086, but seems to have been formed soon afterwards, the first mention being in about 1153. It was formerly a hunting park for the DeLacy family of Pontefract Castle. Later on coal and iron ore were mined and a smelting furnace is recorded in 1295.Once these were exhausted (and woodland had been burned for fuel) the area turned to farming, with a small township until 1803. In this year the park estate was bought by Thomas Nicholson who commenced an extensive programme of landscaping and also built himself a grand Mansion House. This required additional housing for workers. He also sold off some land on which other gentry built houses.
Until 1810, what is now Gipton Wood was Gibton Forest separating Leeds from Roundhay Park. In that year a turnpike road was established "from Sheepscar to Roundhay Bridge".With the establishment of a road, the population increased from 84 in 1801 to 186 in 1822, mainly in grand houses for wealthier citizens associated with Leeds.
In 1826 a church, St John's, was established to serve the population of Roundhay, Shadwell and Seacroft, a combined population of about 1100, who would otherwise have had to travel up to 3 miles to worship.This made the area still more attractive, the local population rising to 300 in the 1830s in the form of a "township and genteel village" with "elegant villas, walks and plantations".
In 1872 the Roundhay Park estate was purchased by the City of Leeds and opened as a public park by His Royal Highness Prince Arthur on 19 September 1872.At the time, there was much opposition stating that the park was too far out of the city for the majority of the population to enjoy, and in any event the park had just one access road. Such logistical problems lead to the park being dubbed a 'white elephant through much of its early years.
However, this led to interest in developing housing nearby, and a suburb began to develop around Lidgett Park. Development was accelerated in 1848 by the provision of a horse-drawn public omnibus service between Leeds and Roundhay Park, then a horse-drawn tram, then on 11 November 1891 the first public electric tram service, which by 1894 provided a quarter-hourly service from 6 a.m. The City sold off some surplus land, but placed restrictions in its use, stipulating stone for building and theprohibition of offensive trades.
The area acquired a Post Office in 1868 and by the turn of the century some parts were lit by electricity. Brick-built detached and semi-detached housing was created along with new roads such as The Avenue. In 1901 a second Anglican Church and in 1902 a Congregational Church were established to provide worship within walking distance for the new working class population. Lidgett Park Wesleyan Church followed in 1906.
In June 1907 an open air swimming pool 'lido' opened, at a cost of just over £1,600, being built mainly by unemployed citizens.
Click the button, fill out the form and we'll be right with you!Make a viewing